TIBCO Spotfireis a Data visualisation and anayltics tool that enables users to access, analyze and create dynamic reports on a variety of data sources.
Spotfire, in my opinion is a tool best aimed at those users who are true Data Analysts or using the new buzzord “Data Scientists“.
Spotfire also keeps the Total Cost of Ownership low by allowing users to build once and publish to many (non licensed) users over internet/intranet, as PDF or as MS PowerPoint reports.
If used correctly with a good all round understanding of the data content Spotfire can deliver immediate value whether you are a market researcher, a sales representative, a scientist or a process engineer by letting you quickly identify trends and patterns in your critical business data.
Spotfire can access data in a number of places such as on your desktop or in a network file system. It can even access your data if it is located in remote databases via the Information Link feature, without you having to involve your IT department each time you wish to ask a new question. However for typical business users most will need input from their IT Departments to make the underlying database tables and fields understanddable. For example making Table 123_xyx / Field 4455gt to be “Sales Quantity”.
Spotfire lets you filter your data interactively, and helps the business user delve into the data to provide answers instantly and in a visual and understable format – the old adage of a “a picture is worth a thousand words” and nowhere is this more true than in the case of Data Analytics.
Spotfire also has a number of nifty features and dashboards with street-level mapping very similaur to Google Maps.
In a recent presentation I was in to the CFO of a Global 100 retailer he stated that he now wanted his team going forward to ditch the Powerpoint presentation and present data to him using Spotfire – clearly an enthusiast for this type of tool!
Static reports can be limiting to business users hence Spotfire Version 6 allows you to create dynamic reports that aid the user in posing further business questions and data dissemination. Data visuations can be easily turned into your reports to show to colleagues and customers.
The new features available in Spotfire v6 are:
- Advanced level Google maps style mapping and integration
- The ability to interactively select a data subset on a chart and then drill down / through into the data
- A range of new charts features
- Text can easily be placed on top of images
- Improved integration and ability to push data onto mobile devices
- Visualize, explore and analyze data in the context of location
- Expand situational understanding with multi-layered geo-analytics
- Mashup new data sources to provide precise geo-coding across the enterprise
- Improved Web Based authoring
The Data sources that Spotfire Version 6 can connect to are:
• Cloudera Hive CDH4, CDH5
• Cloudera Impala CDH4, CDH5
• Composite Information Server (ADS) 6.1, 6.2
• Hortonworks Data Platform 1.3, 2.0
• HP Vertica 6.1
• IBM Netezza 6.1, 7.0
• Microsoft Analysis Services 2008, 2012
• Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 R2, 2012
• MySQL 5.1, 5.5, 5.6
• Oracle and Oracle Exadata (Oracle 11gR1 and R2)
• Oracle Hyperion Essbase 9.3, 11.1
• Pivotal Greenplum 4.1, 4.2, 4.3
• Pivotal HAWQ
• PostgreSQL 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2
• SAP HANA SPS6
• SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse 7.0.1
• Teradata Aster 5.0, 5.11
• Teradata 12.10, 13.00, 13.10, 14.00, 14.10