On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend SAP Business Objects if asked by a colleague?
Please provide some examples of things that SAP Business Objects does particularly well.
- I would score an 8 if reporting on a relational database – performance is good and the product works well.
- Features and options are good. It can cater to many different use cases, depending on end-user requirements.
- The suite contains multiple tools – OLAP, Explorer, Dashboards. It’s highly versatile with a great variety of tool-sets. It doesn’t force people to do things one way using a single tool.
- However, continuing problems in reporting against an OLAP database reduce the overall score to a 6.
Please provide some examples of areas where SAP Business Objects has room for improvement.
- BW / Business Objects integration: SAP has more work to do here. Version 4.0 has removed major obstacles in stability, but we still have a lot of performance issues. The Business Objects features have been limited by the BW background. I would give this a score of 5 overall.
- SAP is pushing an in-memory database solution – HANA. SAP resources are focused on moving BW to HANA database. I believe BO performance will improve significantly as a result of this. We want to re-evaluate our data warehousing strategy, middle of next year. We are going on two paths currently. We want to take a step back and re-evaluate if SAP has a better solution.
- Dashboard tool sub-standard relative to Tableau. Takes weeks to get working vs. days in Tableau to build.
- Mobile compatibility is far ahead in Tableau.
- From the admin perspective, Business Objects is not fine tuned out of the box.
- Rolling out support packages is not disciplined -sometimes every 2 weeks, sometimes every 2 months.
- No good alerting and monitoring systems.
- No handshake to BW – e.g. send something on a trigger basis from another system to Business Objects.
What positive or negative impact (i.e. Return on Investment or ROI) has SAP Business Objects had on your overall business objectives?
- Sales – helps track revenue, shipments, pay commissions to reps.
- Operations – usability of tool is good – one common repository for every body to see reports. This really is a one-stop-shop for reporting.
- Inter-operability of analysis views.
On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to renew your use of SAP Business Objects? Why do you give it this rating?
Most of the operations reports are in the WebI ad-hoc reporting tool, and we don’t have any complaints about them.